Thursday, October 30, 2014

First Yom Kippur in Israel, by blogger of the month Sahar Romem

What does it mean to “practice” Yom Kippur in Israel? How is it different than practicing Yom Kippur anywhere else in the world? This year marked my fourth Yom Kippur in Israel and I believe that main difference is the atmosphere, the surrounding feeling of belonging, of goodness, and of security. Everyone in the country, both fasting and non-fasting, are focused on the same thing. As opposed to holidays, which center around family gatherings, Yom Kippur requires each individual to focus on their own behavior. The collective reflection of self, although individual, unifies the country.

            So how does the first Yom Kippur in Israel feel? Here are the thoughts of several students from the class of 2018. One of the students he was amazed by the atmosphere. He expressed that back home Yom Kippur was a regular day unless you were fasting and in synagogue. In Israel however, the whole country is shut down: not one car on the road, everyone walking and biking in the street, and kids playing sports.

            Another student found the experience especially emotional. “Being raised in a modern orthodox home, I was taught that Yom Kippur is a time for fasting, praying, and asking G-d for forgiveness, but my first Yom Kippur in Israel meant more than that. I had the privilege of celebrating the holiest day in Judaism with an entire nation of people. It was this special day where all systems (e.g., public transportation, T.V., radio) were shut down, and millions of people were off from school and work. For 24 hours, I felt a sense of unity with a large community of people and Knew I was part of something really great. I have not felt this powerful feeling very much in my life. And it was this experience which helped redefine what Yom Kippur meant to me and more importantly what Judaism means to me.”’


            One of the students decided to fast even though they are not Jewish. “I knew that Yom Kippur is the holiest day of the Jewish year, and because I'm currently living in a Jewish state I fasted not necessarily for the religious aspect, but as a way to actively participate in the larger Israel community. Many of our classmates are Jewish to varying degrees, and most of them fasted regardless of their level of adherence, so I also did it as a way to support their efforts and to be able to understand what it means to fast for a full 25 hours. Having heard from friends who have fasted in the past (both Jewish friends for Yom Kippur and Muslim friends for Ramadan), both groups have always said it's a great time to reflect. So on top of everything, I also thought it might be a good way to stop and reflect on the past two months of my life and the adjustment of starting medical school in a new culture and country.”    - blogger of the month, Sahar Romem

No comments:

Post a Comment