Monday, June 17, 2013

Home, by blogger of the month Jonathan Ditty

Our first year is winding down and there are less than two weeks until our last exam. Many of us are going back home for the summer, others will be here in Beersheva making a lot of vitamin D, and some will be exploring other parts of the planet. I will be heading back to California for a wedding; it’s the place that it all started a year ago.

I remember this time last summer very well. I re-read all of the MSIH emails that I had skimmed (skipped) and did some last minute I-don’t-want-to-pay-crazy-taxes-on-shoes-in-Israel shopping. But most of last summer I spent preparing for my wedding. Casey and I were engaged for three months and were married for three days before leaving for Israel.




Some students had spent time in Israel before, some spoke Hebrew fluently; others (like myself) had never been to Israel and knew some of the alphabet at best. Aside from wondering if I would survive the first year of medical school, I was wondering if I would survive Beersheva. Then there were questions like "what will marriage be like?" and “what is it like to be a husband and a student at the same time?” and "what will my wife do there?”

Transitions are usually not easy, and last summer was certainly no exception. We loved Los Angeles and never thought we would stop reminiscing about the ‘gold ol’ days.’ And yet somehow, Beersheva has become a lot more like home than I ever expected.

To the much anticipated MSIH class of 2017: the adjustment to life here is different for everyone - and yes it is difficult - but it does happen. Be patient, ask for help, and drink lots of water.   - blogger of the month, Jonathan Ditty 

No comments:

Post a Comment