Wednesday, January 22, 2014

My New Normal, by Sara Teichholtz


As a transfer, a question I get asked a lot is how my two medical school experiences have differed.  In a recent e-mail to a friend, I responded that my life is both exactly the same as and entirely different from last year. Medical school, for the most part, has a lot of elements that are universal. I'm still studying all the time out of the same textbooks to learn the same material. (That aspect of my life may never change, Goljan). At the same time, the past six months have completely redefined my idea of normal life outside of school. Tiny errands like shopping for groceries or mailing a package are now epic adventurous and provide daily opportunities for exhilarating victory or humbling defeat. They also provide a great source of bonding—there is no truer connection than that between those who have experienced the checkout line at SuperSal. In short, I wouldn't trade any of it for the world.

Here are some examples of our new normal:

1.                  Sunday is Monday. The week here is shifted due to Shabbat, so Friday and Saturday are off while Sunday begins the work week. We can no longer have a case of the Mondays because Monday is already Tuesday.
2.                  Every Saturday is Christmas, except for Christmas.  Israel shuts down on Shabbat entirely—there's no public transit and most shops are closed. The closest thing that resembles Shabbat in America is Christmas day. Which itself is just like a normal day here.
3.                  The cats. While Florida had a roach problem, Beer Sheva has a cat problem. As far as infestations go, I would argue that ours is definitely cuter than most. Where else can you take a picture like this at a hospital?
[Insert cat ear picture] Spot the cat!
4.                  Kosher laws. Most restaurants and many homes here keep Kosher. Now that I'm used to this, it's a complete novelty to come across bacon or meat and milk together. I will admit that there is a marshmallow shaped hole in my heart.
5.                  The diet. I've gone from worshipping greens to believing that salad base is nothing but cucumber and tomato. My problem is no longer finding somewhere with dried ginger but having to choose between all the places that sell dried ginger.  Falafel has replaced hamburgers as fast food, and I am already mourning the day that I must leave this land of fresh pita and challah.
6.                  The lingo. A year ago, I would not have been able to understand a sentence such as, “Yalla chaverim, oolai we will brave the balagan at the Karnaf to get toastim.” In the same vein, I'm now very comfortable with not understanding a lot of what is being said around me, except if the discussion involves a chest x ray or appendicitis. Whenever we hear English being spoken, it makes our heads turn.
7.                  The math. Living in a country with a new time zone, a new currency, and a new system of measurement means doing a bit of math--automatically dividing shekels by 3.5, subtracting 7 for EST, and multiplying the temperature by 9/5 and adding 32 giving up completely trying to understand Celsius.

With that, I'm back to the experience that will never change: studying!  - blogger of the month Sara Teichholtz






No comments:

Post a Comment