Friday, October 23, 2015

"I Ask Fish for Dinner, Learning Hebrew in Medical School," by MSIH first year blogger Jay Berkes


Hebrew ulpan teacher Michal. 
Hebrew teacher: How was your weekend? (Eykh hayah sof hashavua shelcha?)
Me: I ask fish. (Ani mevakesh dagim.)
Hebrew teacher: What? (Mah?)
Me: I ask fish. (Ani mevakesh dagim!)
Hebrew teacher: You ask what? (Mah ata mevakesh?)
Me: Fish (Dagim)
Hebrew teacher: What did you do? (Mah ata asita?)
Me: I ask fish, and I eat fish. (Ani mevakesh dagim, ve ani ochel dagim.)
Hebrew teacher: Ahhhh, you cook fish. (Ahhh, ata mevashel dagim.)
Me: What? (Mah?)
Hebrew teacher: You cook fish, not ask fish. (Ata mevasheldagim, lo mevakesh dagim.)
Me: I cook fish? (Ani mevashel dagim?)

So goes many of the interactions in my first year Hebrew class. Despite the daily reminder that I couldn’t hold a conversation with a four year old, though, learning Hebrew is an interesting little side project. From practicing the phlegmy throat sounds required for certain letters (think lechayim here) to understanding necessary phrases (where is the bathroom?) to reading and writing, I spend my Hebrew class periods bouncing back and forth between giddy joy that I know something and complete confusion at what’s going on.

Easily the hardest part of learning Hebrew while in medical school, of course, is the fact that medical school tends to get in the way of free time. And learning a foreign language, like training a dog, requires consistent daily practice in your free time. But with such a busy course load, it’s difficult to mentally switch gears into Hebrew learning mode. Luckily, two days a week we have a 2 hour class at the end of the day set aside for such training, and switching gears is just kind of forced on you.
While it’s a little tiring, and progress can be slow at times, learning Hebrew does help me feel slightly cooler when I order falafel or hummus. And as esoteric as that sounds, little victories are the bedrock of learning a new language. It’s easy to forget that when you hang out with anyone from a European country and hear them interact in 2-5 different languages, fluently. It’s also a little difficult to build up a cache of little victories of spoken Hebrew in Israel because so many Israelis are also fluent in English. If I had a shekel for every time I’ve tried to use Hebrew to buy groceries only to get a reply in English, I could probably go grocery shopping twice this week.

Polyglot jealousies aside, learning Hebrew adds a very interesting dimension to my medical school experience. To me, Hebrew represents another world of mystery here. Histology allows me to dive deep into the tissues of the body, and I get to see how nutrients squeeze their way to bone cells. Biochemistry allows me to draw out a map of how molecular interactions allow me to use energy. Immunology lets me see how the body defends against a bacterial infection the same way ancient armies fought battles. And Hebrew gets me further down the path of expressing myself and understanding others in a very novel way. Especially when ordering falafel.


With that said, my day of studying is over and I’m pretty hungry. I think I’ll ask some fish for dinner tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment